Day 7: Going to the Sun Road

I am posting this a day late because I ended up with altitude sickness.

We got up really early yesterday and headed into the park to try to get a parking spot at Logan Pass.  We arrived at Logan Pass around 8 am and the parking lot was already full.  So we circled the parking lot for about 30 minutes until we found someone pulling out.  It was cold and cloudy...quite a difference from the 90 degree weather we had the day before.  The wind was also blowing very hard.  We took some cool pictures of the clouds coming over and covering us and then disappearing again. Logan Pass is on the Continental Divide and the trail we hiked followed the Divide.





Behind Logan Pass is a hike to Hidden Lake.  The first part to the overlook is 3 miles roundtrip.  The second part down to the lake is another 3 miles.  We only did the first part because there was a sign saying that the second part was closed due to bear activity.  The hike was partially on a boardwalk and the rest was a path up to the overlook.  It was so windy we had to brace ourselves when the wind  picked up.  



I'm just going to post a bunch of pictures I took.  It was really hard to choose which pictures to use.







The overlook is not very big.  There were quite a few people there.  But the view of the lake and surrounding area is really worth the hike up.  













The walk down was quite different.  The clouds had disappeared and we could see all of the mountains that surrounded the area we were walking on.  Logan Pass from the backside is very picturesque. My nephew woke up from his nap on his mom's back and walked a little way on the boardwalk.  We also saw a small herd of bighorn sheep grazing below us.











After Logan Pass, we stopped to have lunch at appropriately named "Lunch Creek".  It's a short distance down from Logan Pass.  It was very pretty with lots of beargrass blooms surrounding us.  We found a nice spot by a creek that was run-off from the snow.  








My day ended with me getting altitude sickness.  I started to feel funny at lunch and by dinner, I couldn't eat.  I have been so nauseated all day today and have had no energy to do anything.  So we didn't do anything fun except nap today.  I think Curtis enjoyed his day himself. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be myself again and we can have another adventure in the beautiful park.  








Comments

  1. Wow - VERY dramatic scenery! Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cathy. I think I feel better. I haven't tested my stomach yet. We are heading back into the park today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have caught up! Can't wait to see more pictures. I hope that you are feeling better. What an exciting trip so far, and there is more to come. Get busy...post those pics! Absolutely beautiful. I wish many special days ahead for all.


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 13: Vow renewal and adventure photography

The Badlands of South Dakota

Day 15: Remington Carriage Museum & Many Glacier